Thursday, October 2, 2008

RUTS, GUTS AND SORE BUTTS







Last week Donn and I drove to McCall Idaho. I went to ride motorcycles in the woods with old and new friends, Donna went to perform a selfless act of service; paint the dinning, living and kitchen areas of David and Michele's Cabin. Here is my story and some pictures.

What a wonderful three days....
Day one, Box Lake and Twenty Mile. 38 miles. The most strenous thing I have done all year was get up and out of Box Lake. Hot Pizza
Day two-Seven Devils Area-Indian Springs Trail, Rapid River, Smith Look Out. The veiws the challenge finding the trail back, the broken bridge, mud bogs, the slippery boardwalks, Black Lake, Zims, ah hot springs, dinner out. 54 miles
Day Three-Lick Creek Summit, the views, Seesch River, South Fork of the Salmon,East Fork of the South Fork, false start, refuel, Krassel Ranger Station, how many switchbacks?,Lunch on Indian Ridge, Phoebe Meadows, The injury, the blessing, the ride down and back. 25 miles
I woke early this morning and decided I had to find the poem quoted by Allen on Indian Ridge.It's written by a man named Doug Mallock and called, Good Timber, but I found the it quoted by Vaughn Featherstone, who spoke at my mother's funeral in 1990. Coincidentally he quotes it relating to an experience he had while on the South Fork of the Salmon near where we were. He also quotes one about touching shoulders and drawing strength that epotomizes some of the benefits of our rendevous this past week.
It was just perfect, beautiful weather, good food, friends and times.
Chris

No comments: